Content summary: Listeners' comments (on Rush Limbaugh podcasting, building trust for a blog, tech issues with podcasts and iPods, guest hosting FIR, creating an RSS feed for blog comments); Kensington lock hack follow up; a savage view of Naked Conversations; favourite podcasts and how to produce them; Flash-ing round workplace restrictions on browsers and aggregators; Desert Island discs; seeking freelance writers via blogs; creating a list of CEO intranet blogs.
Show notes for May 23, 2005
Welcome to For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report, a 75-minute conversation recorded live from Concord, California, USA, and Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Download the file here (MP3, 30MB), or sign up for the RSS feed to get it and future shows automatically. (For automatic synchronization with your iPod or other digital player, you’ll also need software such as the FeedDemon RSS aggregator, or the free ipodder or DopplerRadio).
In this edition:
- 00:30 Shel introduces the show; how to give your feedback; show notes; about the show - at the intersection or the collision?
Discussion on listeners' comments:
- 03:05 Mike Wing's link to IBM CEO interview; trackbacks from other blog posts to our interview with Mike
- 05:27 Scott Solomon on Rush Limbaugh podcasting his radio show; on like-minded thinking for building trust for a blog; it's the trust networks that matter, not the reader volume
- 10:45 Dan York with a technical question about some podcasts not playing on his iPod - including this one! Anyone else with such issues?
- 18:42 Sam Whitmore on guest hosting FIR
- 21:04 Christopher Carfi on getting an entire view on the conversation - creating an RSS feed for comments with Movable Type and TypePad; issues on reading content in an RSS reader puts the onus on the writer to make the content compelling
- 32:24 Follow up on hacking the Kensington computer lock - what's the word from Kensington? Nothing yet; a look at how some of the conversations around the blogosphere are developing
- 35:37 Trevor Cook savages Naked Conversations - the editor doesn't get it, says Trevor; regulatory issues on disclosures
- 43:43 From Our Correspondent Down Under: Lee Hopkins - asks what are your favourite business podcasts; looking for audio guides on how to produce podcasts; on a Flash-based alternative for employees of a company that doesn't permit browsers or RSS aggregators; what are your favourite Desert Island Discs?
- 58:35 Seeking freelance writers via blogs and word of mouth - Neville's and Fredrik Wacka's simultaneous blog posts and why they're doing this
- 63:17 Shel's list of CEO intranet blogs on The New PR Wiki - building a great resource
- 65:28 Neville outros the show; how to give your feedback
- 66:40 Improved audio quality for this show - we have fixed it but we're not sure how...
- 67:45 Shel intros the music and the band; outro music
Links for the blogs, individuals, companies and organizations we discussed or mentioned in the show:
Listeners' comments discussion - Mike Wing, Conference Calls Unlimited, Hans Mestrum, Scott Solomon, Rush Limbaugh, BBC podcasts, Adam Curry, Daily Kos, Wonkette, Dan York, iPodder, iTunes, iPod, Winamp, Windows Media Player, iTunes to directly support podcasts, Dawn & Drew, Starbucks, T-Mobile, Bill Gates, Ericsson, Samsung, Nokia, Sam Whitmore's Media Survey, Forbes.com, Closet Deadhead, ZDTV, Sam's interview with InfoWorld and PC World (MP3, 19Mb), Pete Shinbach, Christopher Carfi, Johnnie Moore, Movable Type, TypePad, Six Apart, Expression Engine, Chad Dickerson, NewsGator, FeedDemon, Chris Pirillo, Lockergnome.
Features - Kensington, blog posts (on Icerocket), Alan Jenkins, Darren Barefoot, Steve Rubel, Larry Borsato, The Gadget Guy, Trevor Cook, Robert Scoble, Shel Israel, Naked Conversations, SEC, PR Newswire, Business Wire, Euronext, David Parmet, Robert French, BL Ochman, Lee Hopkins, Heidi Miller, PodcastAlley, Audacity, Daily Source Code, Podcast Brothers, Podcastingnews.com, Desert Island Discs, Dan Bricklin, Software Garden, Joel Spolsky, Fog Creek Software, GodCast Network, Behind the Scenes, Desert Island Discs, seeking freelance writers: Neville's post and Fredrik's post, IABC Memberspeak, CEO Intranet List, Constantin Basturea, The New PR Wiki.
Outro - Skype, Stuart Henshall, Bill Campbell, Skype Journal, The Evil Genius Chronicles, Bullet Called Life, The Girl I've Never Seen (MP3, 6.7Mb), For Immediate Release, A Shel of My Former Self, NevOn.
If you have comments or questions about this show, or suggestions for our future shows, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Comment Line at +1 206 984 0931. You can email your comments, questions and suggestions as MP3 file attachments, if you wish (max. 5Mb attachment, please!). We'll be happy to see how we can include your audio contribution in a show.
So, until Thursday May 26...
(Cross-posted from For Immediate Release, Shel's and my podcast blog.)